This simple digestive ginger shot can be made in bulk and is perfect for improving digestion and lowering inflammation.
Digestion is always on my mind and I spend a vast amount of time researching how to improve it, and how to make it better for myself and of course, for you!
Since I've been working with a nutritionist and through pouring over articles, ginger keeps coming up over and over as natural aid for improving intestinal motility. Why is that important? Because if things don't move properly through the digestive system, a whole host of cascading issues ensue. Everything from constipation to bloating, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), general discomfort, to more serious issues like inflammation which can lead to additional inflammatory diseases in the body. So naturally giving the body a little kickstart, is wonderful for supporting a healthy gut.
This is exactly why I've been drinking this simple digestive turmeric cayenne ginger shot that is infused with potent ingredients to support the digestive system and reduce inflammation. Oh and of course, it takes just a few minutes to make and you have a nice big batch of this wellness shot, to last you all week.
For this recipe, ginger is mixed with turmeric, lemon, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and water to create a potent drink you need little of to reap the benefits. And if you like some sweetness, adding honey to this wellness shot, is a great option to sweeten things up.
Why You'll Love This Digestive Ginger Shot
- It takes 2 minutes to make
- Supports the health of your gut
- Is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant rich
- A little goes a long way
- Supports your intestinal motility
- Is allergy friendly
For Your Shopping List
Ginger Root - fresh chopped ginger is ideal in this recipe.
Ground Turmeric - you can use fresh turmeric if you'd like but ground turmeric is easiest to find.
Ground Cayenne Pepper - a little bit goes a long way, but if you'd like, you can go up to ½ tsp.
Black Pepper - this is necessary to make both turmeric and ginger more absorbable.
Lemon - it adds a nice balance to the ginger shot.
Optional: Raw Honey - if you're vegan skip, but if you're more likely to drink the ginger shot sweeter, then go for honey or even maple syrup.
Filtered Water - use purified water for this mixture that doesn't contain chlorine.
Let's Make It
Step 1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend very well for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Step 2. Strain the liquid through a small strainer to remove all fibrous pieces from the ginger. You can use a small spatula to push the liquid through. A cheesecloth would also work but it will stain your hands.
Step 3. Store the juice in a glass container with a lid in the refrigerator for as long as you need until you've finished it.
FAQs + Top Tips
Can You Use Fresh Turmeric In Place Of Dried?
Absolutely. If you have access to fresh turmeric root, you can use a small root, but I find most people have access to dried turmeric.
How Long Can You Store The Ginger Shot In the Refrigerator?
If you take it every day, about a week or so will do.
Is It Okay For Ginger Shot Liquid To Separate?
Yes, that's normal and you just need to shake it up before you take it.
When Is The Best Time To Take A Ginger Shot
The best time is when it works for you, but first thing in the morning is very energizing.
Do You Need To Take It Several Times A day?
Once a day is all you need, as it can potentially cause heartburn if you go too much.
How Many Ounces Of the Ginger Shot Should You Take?
I don't measure necessarily but about 2-3 ounces will do.
More Recipes You Might Like
- 2 whole medium ginger roots, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch black pepper
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1.5 cups water
- optional: 2 tablespoon raw honey
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend very well for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Strain the liquid through a small strainer to remove all fibrous pieces from the ginger. You can use a small spatula to push the liquid through. A cheesecloth would also work but it will stain your hands.
- Store the juice in a glass container with a lid in the refrigerator for as long as you need until you’ve finished it.
1. You can also use fresh turmeric in place of dried.
2. Be sure to shake the ginger-turmeric mixture well before drinking.
3. Take 1 shot (2-3 ounces) once a day, ideally in the morning on an empty stomach.