When you want something naturally energizing, make this super green parsley and cilantro smoothie. It’s full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals and is the perfect smoothie when you want a break from the traditionally sweet kind.
Those of us who hear the word smoothie, generally think of bright colorful fruit and some sort of yogurt, milk, or maybe water. For some courageous types, maybe a little spinach may make it green. This smoothie is a bit different. It provides a jolt of energy that not even coffee can match. I find it’s an amazing pick me up any time of the day. No caffeine of any kind, just all of nature’s goodness.
This Super Green Parsley and Cilantro Smoothie is:
- Whole 30
- Gut healthy
- Sugar free
- Gluten, dairy and grain-free
Why use parsley in a smoothie
Parsley has been making its way into the main stream as being more than just plate decor. It has an incredible nutrient profile and I’m using it as a base for my smoothie along with cilantro.
Furthermore, it is one of the highest antioxidant plants, delivering an impressive amount of vitamin K, C and A. Several tablespoons of parsley can deliver over 500% of daily value of vitamin K, over 60% of vitamin C and close to 50% of vitamin A. It also delivers folate, iron and many other minerals and micro nutrients. Parsley has been widely used in traditional medicine for help with :
- GI Issues
- Cardiac Disease
- Ear Infections and more
In addition to parsley, the other ingredients in this smoothie all have similar health benefits, with cilantro having an equally impressive array of nutrients and benefits. Just like parsley, cilantro is an antioxidant herb, high in vitamins and minerals.
Benefits of cilantro:
Acts as a natural Detoxifier
Cilantro has long been used in traditional medicine but cilantro also acts as a natural detoxifier, helping the body get rid of heavy metals. Consuming cilantro on a regular basis binds to heavy metals eliminating them from the body.
An impressive benefit of cilantro is that it helps to release digestive enzymes, which are necessary for proper breakdown and food absorption. Cilantro also helps with bloating and digestive issues, cramping and stomach aches.
Helps with Anxiety
Cilantro helps promote natural relaxation in the body and is a powerful calming agent. While some foods are sprinkled or garnished with cilantro, this smoothie contains a significant amount.
Benefits of Turmeric and Ginger
Ginger and Turmeric also have wonderful health benefits. Ginger has been shown to help with upset stomach and nausea while turmeric is great for bloating and gas. Together they are really powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and in some studies have shown to have cancer fighting properties.
Tips for drinking Super Green Parsley and Cilantro Smoothie
- Blend all the ingredients for at least 30 seconds or more to ensure everything is mixed together
- If you want more of a juice like taste, use a strainer and strain out all the pulp. You’ll be left with a smooth juice. But if pupl doesn’t bother you, then bottoms up!
More drink recipes you may like:
- 1 handful of organic parsley
- 1 handful of organic cilantro
- 1/3 of organic English cucumber or 1 regular size cucumber
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced (I use a lemon zester to make it fine)
- 1/4 tsp fresh turmeric (or 1/4 tsp dry)
- 2 organic celery stalks
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups water
- optional: if you want some sweetness, add one chopped pear skin on
1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender and enjoy right away.
2. If you don't want the pulp, feel free to take it through a strainer but many of the wonderful nutrients will be in the pulp.