Here is a deconstructed version of a spicy tuna roll but in a bowl. A low-carb, paleo, and whole 30 option for spicy tuna lovers.
Sushi in my book is edible art. While I think all cooking is an art form in itself, there's something remarkable about sushi. The way it is prepared, served, and meant to be enjoyed slowly, is ceremonious. It's the kind of food that instantly puts me in a good mood. While the term sushi is ambiguous and somewhat loosely used, for me it encompasses a certain flavor and taste and I take liberties with that.
When the lovely owner of St. Jude Tuna reached out to me about working together again, I was delighted. I don’t believe in product pushing and I’m not interested in just throwing anything at my readers hoping that it sticks. But truthfully when I believe in something, I get pretty excited about it and want to shout it from the rooftop or my website page in this case. And this is how this easy spicy tuna made with smoked albacore came to fruition.
If you're a lover of canned tuna, there is no shortage of it here. You'll find recipes like my quick curried tuna and chickpea salad with tarragon, an easy cannellini bean and tuna salad with artichoke hearts, tuna and chickpea patties with lemon caper mayo, canned tuna tacos with chipotle mayo, and delicious weeknight canned tuna pasta with capers and olives among others.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's paleo and whole 30
- Protein-rich and nourishing
- A perfect alternative to the classic spicy tuna roll
- Low-carb and paleo
Cooked cauliflower rice - you can make your own or buy frozen cauliflower rice.
Coconut aminos - if you're not whole 30 or paleo, you can use gluten-free soy sauce.
Toasted sesame oil - a little goes a long way so don't be tempted to add too much.
Toasted Sesame seeds - they're a beautiful addition to the cauliflower rice and the smoked sushi bowl.
Sriracha - you can find a natural one here that's perfect in this recipe.
Avocado - it adds beautiful texture and creaminess to the sushi bowl.
English cucumber - I find it works much better than regular cucumber as it's less seedy.
Red bell peppers - you can also use orange or yellow bell peppers if you'd like.
Radishes - a nice crunch and spice.
Optional: pickled ginger, sprouts, scallions
How To Make It
Step 1. Combine cauliflower rice with sesame oil, sesame seeds, and coconut aminos.
Step 2. Make the sriracha mayo by combining sriracha, mayo, and coconut aminos.
Step 3. Combine the remaining mayo with sriracha, coconut aminos and mix well. Add the tuna and stir to combine all the ingredients well.
Step 4. Add the cauliflower rice to a bowl, and top with the spicy tuna, and vegetables in whichever way you'd like.
For full recipe instructions, see the recipe card.
Absolutely! If you're not grain-free or low-carb, you can easily use the spicy tuna mix and veggies and roll everything up in a roll with rice or even cauliflower rice. Then drizzle the rolls with spicy mayo.
If you're not following a specific lifestyle, you can substitute rice for cauliflower rice.
Yes, very easily too. You can find the recipe here.
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower rice
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos, divided
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 can St. Jude's smoked tuna
- 5 tablespoons mayo, divided
- 3 teaspoon sriracha sauce, divided
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ peeled cucumber cut into slivers
- ½ carrot cut into slivers
- 3-4 sliced radishes
- ¼ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- optional: pickled ginger
- optional: sprouts of your choice
- optional: scallions for garnish
- Combine cauliflower rice with sesame oil, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, and ½ teaspoon coconut aminos.
- Make the sriracha mayo by combining 1 teaspoon sriracha, 2 tbsps mayo, and ½ teaspoon coconut aminos.
- Combine the remaining 3 tablespoon mayo with 2 teaspoon sriracha, 1 teaspoon coconut aminos and mix well. Add the tuna and stir to combine all the ingredients well.
- Add the cauliflower rice to a bowl, and top with the spicy tuna, and vegetables in whichever way you'd like, and drizzle the spicy sushi bowl with spicy mayo.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.