Get perfectly juicy and flavorful grilled chicken with this easy chicken marinade for grilling. It is the perfect chicken companion.
Grilling and summertime are synonymous. You can't have one without the other. At least I can't.
All winter long I look forward to longer days, chirping birds, a glass of wine in hand, and the smell of the grill. It truly is one of the most comforting smells.
And one of my absolute favorite things to cook on the grill is chicken. It's easy, fast, delicious, and loved by all. Whether it's chicken thighs, thinly sliced chicken, or chicken breast, this simple chicken marinade can do it all.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a perfect easy chicken marinade
- You'll need only pantry ingredients
- It can be made in advance
- Keeps chicken juicy and tender
Worcestershire sauce: This super flavorful sauce gives the chicken marinade a salty and umami taste.
Coconut aminos, tamari or gluten-free soy sauce: More umami flavor and taste but with the aminos you're going to have a lot less sodium than with gluten-free soy sauce.
Dijon mustard: Mustard adds depth and flavor to the chicken marinade.
Chicken: You can use chicken breast, thinly sliced chicken, or chicken things. I find chicken thighs to work best with this marinade.
Extra virgin olive oil: Try to look for good olive oil since it's foundational in a marinade for grilling.
Lemon juice: Acidity from the lemon balances all the flavors nicely.
Garlic and onion powder: Dried onion and garlic are essential in this marinade and a staple in everyone's pantry.
Salt and pepper: Just a little salt is needed as much of the saltiness comes from the Worcestershire sauce and coconut aminos.
Dried rosemary: This is where true flavor comes from and a little goes a long way. Don't be tempted to add too much as just enough is going to make all the difference in enhancing this marinade for grilling.
Combine all ingredients aside from chicken into a jar and shake well. Alternatively, use a marinating bag.
Add the chicken to a large bowl or bag and add the marinade. Let chicken marinate for 1 hour to overnight.
Grill the chicken on medium heat until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 ºF. About 5-7 minutes per side.
Serve right away.
Hint: Let the grill run for 4-5 minutes to burn off any remnants, then clean it. I like to use this bristle-free barbecue brush for cleaning the grill. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 ºF.
- Fresh garlic - if you don't have garlic powder, feel free to use a finely chopped garlic clove.
- Dijon mustard - a good Dijon mustard substitute is stone-ground mustard.
- Coconut aminos - you can use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari if you don't have coconut aminos.
- Worcestershire sauce - add an additional two tablespoons of coconut aminos, tamari or gluten-free soy sauce.
Tip: If you choose tamari or gluten-free soy sauce for your grilling marinade, choose low-sodium options.
You can customize this easy chicken marinade however you wish and add some other ingredients if you'd like.
- Make it more herby- add fresh thyme and parsley
- Add paprika- a teaspoon of paprika will add even more flavor and change things up a bit
- Balsamic vinegar - for additional acidity, feel free to add 2 tsps of balsamic vinegar (but not the desert kind)
You might want to check out this other chicken marinade as well.
Chicken Breast Vs Chicken Thighs Vs Thinly Sliced Chicken
If you're using different types of chicken, it's good to keep in mind the different cooking times for each. And always use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked to at least 165 ºF.
Chicken breast grilling time - 9-10 minutes per side.
Chicken thighs grilling time - 6-7 minutes per side.
Thinly sliced chicken grilling time - 2-3 minutes per side.
- Grill or alternatively, a grill pan
- Large bowl or bag for marinating the chicken
- Jar with lid or use a bag to make the marinade in
The marinade can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several days.
You can refrigerate the chicken in marinade for up to 24 hours.
Let the chicken marinate as long as you can, ideally overnight. But if you don't have the time, it will be wonderful with just a few minutes of marinating (I get it, we're all busy and I'm right there with you)!
Most certainly. You can refrigerate the marinade for up to a week before using it if you need to.
Yes, you can freeze marinated chicken. Simply make the marinade, toss it in a freezer bag, and add the chicken to it. Mix the chicken and marinade well and freeze for up to 6 months.
If you're making the chicken in advance and want to let it marinate, the recommended time is up to 24 hours.
That's a personal choice. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast, or thinly sliced chicken. The cooking time will vary for each, with chicken breasts taking the longest. (See the above tips for cooking times)
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this recipe:
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsps coconut aminos, tamari, or gluten-free soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Dijo mustard
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, chicken breast or thinly sliced chicken
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients aside from chicken in a jar or in a marinating bag and shake well until all ingredients are combined.
- Add chicken to a bowl or to marinating bag and pour over the marinade and let sit for 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side until the internal temperature has reached at least 165 degrees.
1. If you're using chicken breast grilling time will be 9-10 minutes.
2. Chicken thighs grilling time 5-7 minutes
3. Thinly sliced chicken grilling time will be about 3 minutes per side.
4. If you're using gluten-free soy sauce or tamari, opt for low-sodium.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 627mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove