Enjoy a mug of hot chocolate while doing something good for yourself. This hormone balancing hot chocolate with maca and cinnamon is delicious, full of antioxidants, boosts energy levels and improves mood.
This is the time of year when I trade cold salads for warm ones, light food for comfort food, and smoothies for warm and soothing drinks. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always a good time to have a smoothie, but lately, I find myself heavily gravitating towards warm and comforting drinks.
I think the body intuitively knows what it wants. Balance. Yin and yang, night and day, hot and cold…you get the idea.
Hot chocolate takes me back to being a child, as so many things do. The distinct memory of my mother warming up milk on the stove comes to mind. Frigid temperatures, short days. She would have me gently stir the pot to prevent the skin from forming on the surface while preparing the sugar and cacao. Without fail, I would lick my finger and dip it in the sugar bowl while she poured the hot chocolate in a mug.
Hot chocolate in hand, I’d slump on the couch in our little living room and daydream. A favorite past time of mine.
The hot chocolate tradition continues in my family and little faces light up at the mention of it. Only these days, my children like to sneak marshmallows and whipped cream instead of sugar.
So, I’ve decided to go for a more grown-up version for the adults, trading the whipped cream and marshmallows for hormone balancing maca, cardamom, cinnamon, coconut oil, and honey. The combination makes for an indulgent yet healthy and beneficial hot chocolate you’re going to want to have all season long.
So let’s talk a little bit about this healthy hot chocolate, because not only is it delicious, but offers a wide array of benefits.
Hormone-balancing Hot Chocolate With Maca and Cinnamon
- Quick to make
- Makes for a perfect snack
- Is hormone balancing
- gut healthy
- stress relieving
What is Maca?
Maca is a Peruvian root grown in the Andes mountains. It has a deep, earthy and nutty taste that pairs extremely well with chocolate.
Health Benefits of Maca
Maca offers a wide array of health benefits. Among them are:
- Increased energy and endurance
- Improved mood
- Hormone balancing in both men and women
- Increased fertility
- Improved memory and focus
- Reduced symptoms of menopause
Raw Cacao vs. Cocoa Powder
Sure, you could use cocoa powder for this recipe but you would be missing out on the real benefits of this superfood. Raw cacao can:
- Provide a high does of antioxidants
- Can improve mood
- Can balance hormones
- Is heart-healthy
- Has been shown to aid in weight loss
While your typical all-purpose cocoa powder has been highly processed and often contains additives. So when possible stick to real cacao.
How To Make This Hot Chocolate?
What you’ll need for this warming drink is raw cacao, the plant milk of your choice, maca powder, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, coconut oil, and optional honey. Add all ingredients to a pot and heat on medium-low for 5 minutes. Add the mixture to a blender and blend until frothy.
Is A Blender Required?
I highly recommend it. You can’t get the frothy texture any other way besides using a blender. You could certainly mix all ingredients by hand but I would leave out the coconut oil if you don’t have a blender available.
Variations For This Hot Chocolate With Maca And Cinnamon
If you don’t have cardamom, no stress, you can easily leave it out. The same goes for maca, though I highly recommend it for all the above-mentioned reasons! If you don’t like the taste of coconut, use just a little bit of coconut oil just for the froth. You won’t be able to taste much of the coconut anyway as this drink is very chocolate forward. Again, if you don’t have raw cacao, you can still enjoy this with cocoa powder.
More Warm Drinks You May Like:
- 1.5 cups almond, cashew or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp raw honey (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ashwaganda powder (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to small sauce pan.
2. Heat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add mixture to blender and blend for 20 seconds.
4. Serve right away with a sprinkle of cinnamon if you wish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Nature Nate’s 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Organic Honey; 32-oz. Squeeze Bottle, Honey’s Balanced Flavor and Wholesome Benefits, Just as Nature Intended (Packaging may vary)
- Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - Unrefined Cold Pressed Plant Based Oil for Hair, Skin & Cooking, 14 Oz
- Simply Organic Cardamom, 2.82 Ounce
- Simply Organic Ceylon Cinnamon, Ground | Certified Organic | Kosher Certified | 2.08-Ounce Glass Bottle
- Maca Powder Organic - Peruvian Root Premium Grade Superfood (Raw) - USDA & Vegan Certified - 226.7g (8oz) - Perfect for Breakfast, Smoothies, Baking & Ice Cream.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Organic Cacao Powder, 1 Lb - Raw | Keto | Vegan