This Cauliflower Rice, Sausage and Vegetable Stir-fry is a super simple weeknight dinner that’s low carb, nutritious and delicious. It’s perfect for those following a paleo, grain free or whole 30 lifestyle.
I have a pretty lengthy commute to and from work. 114.4 miles, but who’s counting? I’m used to it and on most days doesn’t bother me much. I have uninterrupted time to think (a favorite pastime activity), listen to inspiring podcasts and of course music.
So in my head I’m laying out the evening which goes a little something like this: Okay so I’ll get home, make the recipe I’ve been trying to post for weeks, give kids a bath..errrr..suddenly all traffic comes to a complete halt and stays that way for well over an hour. Panicked and anxious, I try to listening to a podcast and fail. I can’t recall a single word. Okay, let’s try music, music is always good…calming, calm, relaxing. SHIT THIS ISN’T WORKING! So the intrusive thoughts continue. My family will starve, the kids are going to be sleep deprived, what will happen to my post? Damn it, everything is falling apart.
But in reality it isn’t. It’s just traffic and yes, it’s frustrating but it’s just part of life. I would often whip out the “why is this happening to me?” question when I know very well it’s happening to everyone everywhere and certainly not just to me. It’s fascinating how even the slightest disruption in routine can unravel a person that quickly.
But a good thing that came out of this hour back up, is finding a shortcut to this recipe. I realized I would be able to simplify things by tossing everything into the processor and pulsing a few times. Voila!
Cauliflower Rice, Sausage and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 1/2 lb Italian sweet or spicy sausage
- 1 red pepper cut into large pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1″ knob ginger grated
- 1 tbsp coconut Aminos
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 tsp fresh chopped scallions – green part only
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen)
How to cook Sausage and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Heat non-stick pan and add 2 tbsp avocado oil. Beat eggs with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Scramble and cook for 2-3 minutes until done. Set aside.
- Preheat large frying pan. Remove sausage casings and add sausage to pan. Break up into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, add red pepper, onion and carrot to food processor. Pulse a few times until veggies are broken up into small pieces but not completely processed.
- Once sausage is brown and cooked through, remove from pan and add veggies. If you want to add additional avocado oil, you can and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage, egg, cauliflower rice, cilantro and cook for an additional 10 minutes. In the last minute, add the scallions. Serve with additional fresh chopped cilantro.