Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are super simple to make and perfect for anyone who is following a low-carb, keto, or paleo lifestyle.
I feel the need to reiterate the fact that things are generally pretty hectic around my house, especially on work nights. The days of laboring over meals will return someday but they’re not really happening at the present moment, unless for a special occasion. I think most people can relate to wanting to get dinner on the table for their families in a reasonable time.
This recipe is one I used to make in the crockpot frequently but if I failed to prep in advance (often the case), I would be forced to move on to plan B. This is not the case with the instant pot. I can have dinner ready in about 30 minutes from start to finish. This recipe is one I make unapologetically often since it’s simple, tasty and everyone enjoys it.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
- Perfect easy weeknight dinner
- Perfect for the whole family
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken breast or thighs
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Mild or medium salsa (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Chopped cilantro
FAQs + Tips
Are These Chicken Tacos Spicy
The spice rub is not spicy but you can certainly make it spicier if you want some extra heat. You can add chipotle powder or cayenne pepper for extra intensity and flavor.
The salsa you use will also increase spice depending on how intense you like it. I tend to stick with mild for young mouths but you can go with the salsa of your choice.
How To Shred Chicken
Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove it from the Instant Pot and place it on a cutting board. With two forks, pull apart the meat and work through both chicken breasts until the chicken is shredded. Then return to Instant Pot.
Do You Have To Use Cilantro
My life would be incomplete without cilantro and my fridge is never without it but I know not everyone feels that way. If you’re not a cilantro fan, feel free to skip it.
Is Smoked Paprika The Same As Sweet Paprika
No, they’re not. Smoked paprika adds a deep smokey flavor and you only need a little to achieve that flavor. When it comes to smoked paprika, a little goes a long way.
How To Serve Chicken Tacos?
If you’re following a keto or low-carb lifestyle, the best suggestion would be to use lettuce wraps. If you’re not following a low-carb lifestyle, you can use grain-free tortillas or corn tacos.
More Recipes You May Like
- Paleo Fish Taco Bowl with Mango Salsa
- Jerk Chicken and Shrimp Tacos (Paleo and Whole 30)
- Vegan Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- Paleo Tortillas
- roughly 1.5 lbs chicken breasts (2 large breasts) or chicken thighs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups good quality salsa. I use mild but you can use whatever you like
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, divided
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients aside from chicken, cilantro, and salsa. Set aside.
2. Remove chicken from the package and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. This will ensure your spices stick.
3. Rub each piece of chicken with the spice mixture on both sides and place them inside the pot. Add salsa and make sure the chicken is covered well. If using an Instant pot, lock lid, turn setting to Poultry, High Pressure, for 15 minutes. If you are using a crockpot put the lid on and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, depending on your crockpot.
4. Meanwhile, prepare your toppings. Cut avocado, cilantro, and any other topping and set aside.
5. Once the time is up, press the Keep Warm/Cancel Button and let Instant pot naturally depressurize or if you're short of time, carefully, with a towel turn the release valve and wait until the Instant Pot has finished releasing pressure. Then safely remove the lid.
6. Remove the chicken from the pot and using two forks, shred the chicken.
7. Add the chicken back to the pot and add 1 tbsp chopped additional cilantro.
8. Serve chicken on warmed tacos or lettuce cups and top with your favorite toppings.
1. You can use spicy salsa if you want an extra kick.
2. If you follow a low-carb or keto lifestyle, serve these in lettuce cups.
3. For toppings, good options are avocado, cilantro, radishes, chipotle lime mayo, and anything else you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 922mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 50g